Brooklyn Bred MC, Kota the Friend, releases his debut album, “FOTO”. This long awaited album arrives independently via FLTBYS, at all digital music retailers and streaming services. The lyricist, known for his gorilla style “Lyrics-to-Go” videos, after turning down 3 major label deals has released his best body of work to date, releasing his self-produced debut project including a feature from Saba which details all the best parts of Kota The Friend and his learnings.
The aroma of soulful overlaid melodies, classic boom bap samplings and subtle vulnerable lyrics entice you as you make your way through the robust 19-track project. The rising musician (trained to play trumpet and self-taught guitar and keys player) entices you with his jazzy, lyrical, neo-soul multilayered manifesto confronting insecurities, fears, systematic racism and sexism. It doesn’t stop there, he simultaneously celebrates life, self-love, family, friends, hard times and his biggest inspiration; his son Kota. Reaching back into his past, his high school music teacher has been tapped to contribute to the project, playing the Sax and his high school friend OShay. Even making sure to include interludes of his family and upbringing mentioning:
“During the interludes the matriarchs of my family are telling the stories, showing the essential role that women have. It was important for me to include that. Foto is like flipping through a photo album of everything that has gotten me to this point so everyone who has impacted me is on this project— one way or another.”
Getting his early start on SoundCloud, Kota the Friend has continued to build his fan base relying on his electric stage show and ability to visually speak to peoples hearts and his unique charm that when prompted– seemingly melts away leaving his fiercely exploratory, socially progressive lyrics a brilliant fusion of rap, r&b, alternative, trap & trunk-rattling bass filling your ears.”FOTO” was made for total immersion into Kota’s world, with spoken word, self-help, comedy, and tributes to Brooklyn that line the tracks with nostalgia. His creative subtlety; whispery timbre and use of captivating traditional yet contemporary compositions have already garnered him over 23Million+ streams (Spotify), 900K Monthly Listeners on Spotify, 11Million+ Views (YouTube), 5M+ on SoundCloud, 138k IG followers. Don’t blink… the half psychedelic, half trill talent is truly proving one to watch.
STAND OUT TRACKS
SOLAR RETURN Ft. SABA
- Sam Cooke’s 1964 Murder Case Needs Further Exploration
- 6ix9ine Announces New Album Release Date
- GOP governor: The numbers are glaring warning signs
- Burning Bush International Ministries (BBIM) Mass Choir Releases Debut Single, “Expect the Supernatural,” to Overwhelming Response
- Dave Matthews Band – Cry Freedom [Live From Home: By Request]
- 102.5 WDVE Rocks for Children’s Radiothon Raises Over $605,000
- Wild 94.1’s PD Orlando Davis Featured in Radio Facts 21st Anniversary Issue
- Rising Singer & Producer Stefan James Unveils His Debut EP “Nights Like”
- ‘Salute to America’ celebration with President Trump
- Washington Redskins will review name, team says