Based in Chicago, the Hiplet ballerinas have appeared in New York, Germany, Spain, South Korea, and Hong Kong. They have also performed on Good Morning America, at Paris Fashion Week and TEDx Talks in San Francisco, and have been covered by ABC 7 Chicago, Elle, and Harper’s Bazaar, among other major media outlets.
Teaming with the Hiplet ballerinas to bring Unwrapped’s version of Travis Scott’s “Pick Up The Phone” to life was an honor for Steve McKeever, founder of Hidden Beach Recordings, which releases the Unwrapped series of albums.
“Hiplet was designed to make Ballet accessible by all,” explains McKeever, a Chicago native. “We thought their fusion of hip-hop, classical pointe technique ballet, and urban dance brought the right visual sensibility to our version of ‘Pick Up The Phone.’ It’s a tasteful and thoughtful celebration of music and dance with a fusion of things that both Unwrapped and Hiplet represent. We want the video to inspire the Chicago youth, who often don’t see themselves portrayed in a positive light in the media.”
The Unwrapped version of Travis Scott’s “Pick Up The Phone” is the first release from Hidden Beach Recordings Presents: Unwrapped Vol. 8: The Chicago Sessions, which is set to arrive May 24, 2019.
Selections from first seven volumes of Unwrapped have been streamed millions of times and include addictive reimaginings of such classic rap tracks as A Tribe Called Quest’s “Bonita Applebum,” 50 Cent’s “21 Questions,” and DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince’s “Summertime.”
The Unwrapped Caviar Spotify playlist features 14 Unwrapped versions and 14 original versions of such smash hits as Lil’ Kim’s “Crush On You,” OutKast’s “Ms. Jackson,” and LL Cool J’s “Loungin (Who Do Ya Luv).”
AllHipHop has called Unwrapped’s musical marriages “pure genius.” “The Hidden Beach Unwrapped series is more than creativity at its finest,” the renowned site also says. “It’s a symphonic blend of some of Hip-Hop’s most well-known tracks fused together with the best in jazz.”
In addition to the acclaimed Unwrapped series, Hidden Beach Recordings launched the career of multi-platinum recording artist and award-winning actress Jill Scott and Kindred The Family Soul, among others. Hidden Beach Recordings also released an R&B album from multi-platinum artist Darius Rucker as well as a studio album and a Christmas album from gospel music legend BeBe Winans.
Hiplet was created in the early 1990s by Artistic Director Homer Hans Bryant, a former principal dancer with the world famous Dance Theater of Harlem who worked with Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, among others.
Watch the Hiplet ballerinas in the new video for Unwrapped’s “Pick Up The Phone”:
- Steve Parish to Host New Show on SiriusXM’s Grateful Dead Channel
- Rising Singer & Producer Stefan James Unveils His Debut EP “Nights Like”
- Conan Gray Returns To the Road for “The Comfort Crowd” Headline Fall Tour
- Sam Cooke’s 1964 Murder Case Needs Further Exploration
- Olivia O’brien Drops Music Video For New Song “Care Less More”
- Rynx Releases New Track “All For You” Featuring Kiesza
- Rosalía Unveils a New Song and Video Today with the Release of “Con Altura” – Rosalía and J Balvin feat. El Guincho
- 102.5 WDVE Rocks for Children’s Radiothon Raises Over $605,000
- CASANOVA RELEASES “COMING HOME” FT. CHRIS BROWN (PROD. BY COOL & DRE)
- ANTHONY RAMOS RELEASES NEW SONG “THE GOOD & THE BAD”