OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network announced today the addition of ten new recurring and guest star cast members to the ensemble for “David Makes Man”, the lyrical drama from Academy Award winner Tarell Alvin McCraney (“Moonlight”) and Warner Horizon Scripted Television. Lela Rochon (“Training Day”), Trace Lysette (“Transparent”), Liza Colon-Zayas (“Proven Innocent”), Juanita Jennings (“Star”), Lindsey Blackwell (“Step Sisters”), Solomon Valdez (“[Bi]Polar”), Teshi Thomas (“The Good Place,” “Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance”), Nick Creegan, Kimaya Naomi and Logan Rozos have joined the series.
McCraney serves as executive producer of the series alongside Dee Harris-Lawrence (“Shots Fired,” “Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G.,”) who serves as showrunner. Mike Kelley and Melissa Loy (“Revenge,”) under their Page Fright production banner, Michael B. Jordan (“Creed”) via his Outlier Society Productions and Oprah Winfrey are also executive producers.
“David Makes Man” centers on a 14-year-old prodigy from the projects who is haunted by the death of his closest friend and relied on by his hardworking mother to find a way out of poverty. He must choose between the streets that raised him or the higher education that may offer him a way out. Set in South Florida, the lyrical drama, inspired by events in McCraney’s own life, explores the inherent trauma sustained in the fight for survival.
The series is produced by Page Fright and Outlier Society Productions in association with Warner Horizon Scripted Television. It is currently in production in Orlando, Florida and set for a 2019 premiere on OWN.
The following actors are set for recurring or guest roles on “David Makes Man”:
- Feature film star Lela Rochon (“Training Day”, “Blood Done Sign My Name”) will recur as Alma, Gloria’s estranged mother.
- Trace Lysette (“Transparent”) is Femi, a protective den mother to troubled adolescents.
- LAByrinth Theater Company member Liza Colon-Zayas (“Proven Innocent,” “Law & Order: SVU,” “Bull”) plays Principal Fallow. She runs the magnet school that David, Seren and Marissa attend.
- Juanita Jennings (“Star”) is set to play the role of Mrs. Hertrude, the resident building manager.
- Film, television and stage actor Lindsey Blackwell (“Step Sisters”) will play Marissa, David and Seren’s friend and classmate.
- Teshi Thomas (“The Good Place,” “Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance”) is set to play Tare, a neighborhood girl who also lives in The Ville with David.
- TV newcomer Solomon Valdez (“[Bi]Polar”) will play Willie Derrick, an 11-year-old wanna-be dope dealer.
- Nick Creegan makes his television debut as Desmond, the second-in-command to Raynan’s uncle Teo.
- Kimaya Naomi makes her television introduction as Shella, a younger friend of Tare’s who also lives in The Ville.
- Logan Rozos also makes his television debut as Star Child, a quiet but direct boy who goes to live with Ms. Elijah.
The diverse lineup of talented actors adds to the previously announced series regular ensemble cast that includes Akili McDowell, three-time Emmy nominee Phylicia Rashad, Nathaniel Logan McIntyre, Isaiah Johnson, Ade Chike Torbert, Jordan Bolger, Cayden K. Williams, Travis Coles and Alana Arenas. They also join guest stars Gillian Williams, Elvis Nolasco, and Tony Award winner and Emmy/Golden Globe nominee Ruben Santiago-Hudson.