NewsRadio 1020 KDKA and Morning Host Larry Richert today announced that Vinita Nair, co-host of “CBS THIS MORNING: SATURDAY” will serve as the Keynote Speaker at “Larry Richert Honors our Hometown Heroes” at the Lexus Club at PNC Park on Thursday, Mar. 3, 2016. Tickets are $125 and proceeds from an auction at the event benefit It’s About the Warrior Foundation, a local organization dedicated to serving post 9/11 veterans.
The KDKA Afternoon News with Robert Mangino and Shelley Duffy will broadcast live from the Lexus Club at PNC Park from 3:00-7:00PM.
In its fourth year, “Larry’s Heroes” honors five ordinary individuals in the community who have done extraordinary things. In addition, KDKA also awards a Lifetime Hero Award, and this year’s honoree is Dr. Jim Withers, the founder and medical director of Pittsburgh Mercy’s Operation Safety Net. Pittsburgh Mercy has helped more than 10,000 people experiencing homelessness with their medical and social service needs. Dr. Withers also started the Street Medicine Institute to support homeless programs in other communities.
This year’s five “Larry’s Heroes” are:
· Darla Poole Brescia, co-founder of Gray Paws, a sanctuary for abandoned Senior Dogs
· Lexi Campbell, founder of Camp Cranium, a non-profit overnight summer camp for children ages 6-18 who have experienced a traumatic or acquired brain injury
· Dave Gray, founder of CDG Sports, a well-known, local youth sports mentor who uses his expertise to serve several non-profit children’s organizations
· Carol McCaskey, a retired teacher who started the Backpack Initiative to Fight Hunger in the Deer Lakes School District
· Rose Ann Milbert, a registered nurse who works in the neonatal unit of Magee-Women’s Hospital who founded Tiny Angel Gowns, an organization that creates gowns and infant sized tuxedos for families of babies who died in the hospital
Each hero receives a $1,000 donation to a charity of their choice. The event kicks off at 5:30 PM and tickets are available through Eventbrite. More information can be found at KDKA.com/heroes.
The Power of Bowser is a proud sponsor of “Larry Honors our Hometown Heroes” along with AAA, Dollar Bank, Giant Eagle, Goodwill, Gutter Helmet, La Roche College, Lennox International, Levin Furniture, Madison Remodeling, Metropolitan Windows, Moses Jewelers, Phase 4 Learning Center, and Weight Loss North Pittsburgh.
Past honorees include:
2015: Lisa Bills, Sister Mary Thaddeus Markelewicz, CSSF; Joel Vanucci, Officer James Williams, Renno Young and Lifetime Hero: Stanley M. Marks, MD.
2014: Anne Davis, Hazel Jackson, Monica Michna, Terri Suica-Reed and Megs Yunn
2013: Jamie Holmes, Sgt. Patrick J. Manning, William R. Neal, Jr., Paul Shields and Summer Tissue
NEWSRADIO 1020 KDKA is owned and operated by CBS RADIO. Find KDKA at 1020 on the AM dial, on the HD-2 channel of KDKA-FM, online at KDKA.com and through mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android devices.
- Big Ten back, PAC 12 next?, NFL ratings tank, Titans allowing fans at games, MLB playoffs and more
- Sam Cooke’s 1964 Murder Case Needs Further Exploration
- BET Told Envy He Wasn’t Black Enough For Their Network
- Examining Jimmy Butler’s clutch gene and Bam Adebayo big block | The Jump
- DP reacts to the Clippers Game 7 loss to the Nuggets | 09/16/20
- Ray J Explains Why He Decided To File For Divorce
- Arçelik Chooses AWS to Transform its Appliance Manufacturing Business into a Data-Driven Organization
- Fairground Saints Release New Song “Mary”
- Mad Scientist Turned Hot Music Producer Releases Gucci “Polar Bear” Lyric Video
- Grammy®-Nominated Chart Topper William Murphy Releases New Album ‘Settle Here’